Friday, November 23, 2007

The World's Most Sober Arena

Listen Mr. Dolan, I know you are unhappy, but does that mean you have to deprive me of beer?

I have been to MSG to watch college basketball a number of times. I usually go to the Big East tournament, hit up a St. John's game or two and watch some of the pre-season tourneys if 'Cuse is playing. One of the great things about going to watch college basketball at MSG is that you can get great seats for a pretty cheap price. The other great thing is that you can get shitfaced and there's usually a very short line for the concessions because the place is rarely packed (for games other than the Big East tourney, which is usually jammed to the gills). So when I bought tickets to the pre-season NIT game between 'Cuse v. Ohio St. game I 35%was pretty psyched to get loose and watch the young 'Cuse team roll over the less athletic Buckeyes. As it turned out, neither of things happened. Not only did 'Cuse lose because Ohio St. played the best game they will likely play all year (they shot 50% to 'Cuse's 35%), but when we went to go grab some booze from the concession stands during the games, we were told they weren't selling any. Assuming that the problem was merely that this particular concession stand wasn't selling beer, we went to the next one where we learned that they weren't selling beer either. In fact, there was no beer being sold. We got no explanation for the lack of booze and because MSG has a "no re-entry" policy, we were forced to sit through the entire game sans beverage.

Now, it's not like I'm some alcoholic and need a beer every half an hour or I start melting or something but I when I go to a sporting event I like to grab as much shitty food as I can shove in my face and as much beer as I can drink. I don't think that's too much to ask. As an economic prospect, it doesn't make a ton of sense. Did they not want to make money? There were dozens of patrons who were outraged by the lack of booze were much more vocal than I. And I really wouldn't have been so upset had there been some kind of warning on the tickets or a sign somewhere as we entered the event warning us of the lack of alcohol except that there was not. At least that way I could have stayed at Stout for a couple more beers and not shown up to watch the excruciating last hour and a half of the Washington v. Texas A&M game stone cold sober.

I get that things at MSG are no going so great and the people running the company are suffering. I'm just not sure that the best course of action is to give people less booze. It's been my experience that booze makes things better. Even MSG and the Dolans would look good after a couple beers.

No comments: