Sunday, March 2, 2008

Swami ManRammy: Manny The Meditator


Why did Manny skip the White House trip? History and Yoga, obviously.

The guy just never disappoints. Whether it's with the bat or an off-the-field oddity, Manny Ramirez always keeps us guessing. But after the latest tidbit about the personal habits of Manuel Ramirez, I think I'm all guessed out:
...hearing the president in person was not as important to Ramirez as maintaining his relatively new interest in a form of meditation called Mantra Yoga.

It is his new passion for his down time, and he had some of that on Wednesday. So when asked if he needed a presidential remark to feel important, he said he did not.

“I was doing meditation in my house, so I feel more important,” Ramirez said. “That’s what I do now. In my time off, I read books and I meditate. That’s what I do.”

Ramirez said he is reading history books, most having to do with the Dominican Republic. When the books are closed, he is engaging in Mantra Yoga, introduced to him by his uncle Rico.

Asked to explain what it is like, Ramirez said, “I don’t know how to explain it to you in English,” and he added that it would be difficult in Spanish, as well.

So it’s hard to put into words.

“Yeah, but I like it,” Ramirez said.

He said there is no stretching involved, and that it involves “concentration and stuff like that.”
"concentration and stuff like that..." Obviously Manny has a deep understanding with the depth of the craft. I don't know where we go from here but it seems that, as usual, there is much more to the ManRam than meets the eye.

No comments: