Friday, April 6, 2007

Ummm.... should someone be offended by this?


I'm not one for being overly "PC" and all (see most everything I've ever written), but I'm just wondering if the above banner is appropriate, inappropriate or simply funny. More than anything, should I feel weird about laughing at it? Or is it supposed to be like a caracature? There are a couple things I do know, if me and my friends brought that sign into a stadium, we'd be arrested. I already get strange looks from people at yankees stadium (intentional low caps) when I scream GODZIRRA! every time Matsui gets up to bat, but it's all in good fun. This seems, I don't know, I don't want to say racist but it certainly is evocative of sterotypes. Imagine if it was known that John Amaechi was gay while he was playing and people were cool with it and whatever (basically imagine this all happened in France) and some of his gay fans brought in a banner in support of Amaechi that depicted him in a similar fashion to the McGreevey cartoon up on the left here. Would that be ok? Don't get me wrong, if it were up to me I'd completely do away with political sensitivity and we'd all toughen up and develop thicker skin as opposed to being the humorless sensitivity police that we've become (unless whatever was being done was malicious or hateful and I'm sure it could be argued that the McGreevey cartoon is just that). Maybe it's just me but when I saw the Dice-K banner all I could think of was Mr. Magoo's "house boy" (pictured below) and I'm pretty sure people would look back on that and find it a wee bit inappropriate. I know that when I was a kid, I thought all people in Asia floated around like he did in Mr. Magoo and was surprised when I later realized they didn't. As a final note and friday trivia quiz, I'll give a nickel to the first person to post a comment with the name of Mr. Magoo's house boy without the use of google (not that I have any way of preventing you from using it or knowing if you did).

No comments: